The defibrillator leads in question were pulled off the market in a massive federal recall several years ago. It was determined that there was a wiring problem in the product that apparently caused internal conductors to wear through insulation. This placed medical patients at risk for unnecessary and unwanted electrical shocks.
A man in California has since filed a lawsuit alleging the defibrillator that was inserted in his body in 2003 issued as many as 20 unwarranted shocks to him as he slept. His claim states this malfunction caused permanent damage to his body and his mind. St. Jude Medical filed for dismissal of the man's case on several grounds.
A U.S. District Court judge declined dismissal of the man's manufacturing defect and negligence claims but did rule that a failure-to-warn claim had no basis as filed, although the plaintiff has a certain amount of time to amend that part of his claim. Many Tennessee patients trust that the special devices used to treat their conditions are appropriately designed and safe to use. If a medical device causes injury, a personal injury attorney can help a recovering victim pursue justice in court.