Clarksville Birth Injury Attorney
Fighting for Justice for Mothers & Children
For most children, the most precarious time in their early lives is when they are being born because of the many different birth complications that can happen. Your doctor and the rest of your medical team need to work together to ensure that your child’s delivery is healthy, safe, and successful.
If you or your child suffered an injury during birth, we encourage you to consult with our firm. Our birth injury attorney in Clarksville can determine if you have a valid claim. If so, we can fight for the compensation you deserve.
Understanding Birth Injuries
Prospective parents put their trust in doctors, nurses, midwives, and other medical professionals to ensure a safe birth. Unfortunately, that trust is sometimes misplaced. One small mistake or one second of negligence can lead to a lifetime of pain for parents and children alike.
Examples of malpractice that could lead to a birth injury include:
- Failure to monitor — A child may be experiencing distress in the womb. The child may be low on oxygen. Hypoxia can cause permanent health issues such as cerebral palsy.
- Excessive force — If a physician uses excessive force during the extraction of the child from the mother, it is very easy to damage the brachial plexus, a nerve that controls arm movement. This can cause Erb's palsy.
- Failure to perform a timely cesarean section — When a child is in distress, a cesarean section (C-section) may be necessary. A physician may not perform the operation soon enough, causing the child to be seriously and possibly permanently injured.
- Failure to identify birth defects — During the child's development in the womb, proper fetal monitoring can identify birth defects. Some types of birth defects can be treated before birth. Failure to do so can complicate the birth process and leave the child with serious health issues.
Issues That Can Lead to Birth Complications
When you attend prenatal visits, your medical team performs many routine tests and exams to make sure things are going well for both you and your baby. The following list shows numerous issues that would raise concerns and perhaps require specialized or even urgent care:
- Your baby's weight should never increase to a point where he or she will not fit through the birth canal. There are several maternal conditions that can cause a baby's pre-birth weight to go too high.
- If you go into labor before 37 weeks, it is definitely a high-risk situation.
- The shape of your pelvis must be such that your baby can easily make his or her way through the birth canal. Cephalopelvic disproportion is a condition that typically necessitates cesarean section delivery.
- If your labor is slow to progress and you and baby are having a difficult time, your medical team will likely refer to the situation as dystocia. If your uterus and cervix aren't functioning as they should for a safe delivery, your doctor will need to make a decision as to the best course of action to keep you and your baby safe.
The average obstetrician knows how to recognize signs of danger regarding your and your baby's health during pregnancy, labor, and childbirth. Like all Tennessee prenatal patients, you rely on your medical team, especially regarding issues you may know nothing about. If your doctor fails to diagnose a high-risk condition, it can have devastating results for you or your infant.
We Achieve Multimillion-Dollar Settlements & Verdicts
Whether a medical staff member's negligence causes you or your child to suffer illness or injury, there's no reason your family should be stuck paying all the medical bills and expenses associated with the incident, such as in-home care, physical therapy or other costly services. Many parents seek monetary judgment against those whose negligence caused them physical, emotional or economic damages by filing medical malpractice claims in civil court.
At Pete Olson Injury Attorneys, we are committed to providing the real help people need after their child has been harmed by substandard medical care. The issues that birth injuries cause can impact the entire span of a child's life. You want to do everything you can for your child. We can help ensure that your child has what they need today, tomorrow, and far into the future.
Attorney Pete Olson has a record of success that includes multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements over the course of a more than 25-year career. We can help you help your child.